Friday, March 29, 2013

Of Animal Sketches and Noisy Tapirs


In an attempt to get in some more animal gestures and sketches in to my sketchbook, I'd utilized my membership to the fullest and visited the Minnesota Zoo three consecutive weekends. I'm still not sick of going. The first trip resulted in me forgetting I was even carrying a sketchbook around for the most part but there are a couple of doodles from day one included here. Day two consisted of attempting to sketch while wearing mittens. It was still pretty chilly out but discovered I could still grip my pencil decently well with mittens on, so I spent a good few hours at the outdoor exhibits.

Danielle's Sketch Blog - Animal Life Gesture Sketches by Danielle Loos

Danielle's Sketch Blog - Tapir Life Gesture Sketch by Danielle Loos


The third weekend I went later in the day, and it seemed to make a huge difference in what animals were up and moving around. The tapirs were especially playful so I just sat and watched them for a bit while I sketched. I'd never seen them do anything besides lay around before.






I was able to capture some footage of the two up and about, might come in handy sometime. Apologies for the rather shoddy quality video, just a point and shoot. 

I would like to go a few more times soon and do more style studies of a particular animal or work in some marker value studies. We'll see what happens!

Thanks for lookin'!

No comments:

Post a Comment