Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Caricature Lunch Sketches


Ta-da! Here marks the first of my sketchbook posts and it's none other than subject matter that is different my usual, and in a style that's not particularly representative of my usual look. I wanted to start to get myself to focus on working on areas that are terribly lacking in my body of work, this session focusing on males.
Danielle's Sketch Blog - Lunch Break Caricature Sketches  by Danielle Loos

Usually, when I tell myself to draw a male character, it ends up being a fantastical creature such as a centaur where I can replace the head with that of the animal rather than the human. I thought I was so clever, avoiding having to draw male faces an' all that. So, over a few of my lunch breaks I made an attempt at moving away from that and actually working on drawing some male faces but didn't want to start out with too serious of studies so I played with it and exaggerated some shapes and lines.

These were done without any sort of reference, regrettably, and it's noticeable - I found I need to study more about the shapes around the cheeks, under the lips and over the brow. I'm not exactly happy with these but I feel it's important to track my progress and post these types of things to learn from.

Thanks for lookin'!

No comments:

Post a Comment